An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• The Stars honored ailing teammate Rich Peverley with a gritty overtime win in St. Louis on Tuesday night. Dallas fan or not, you had to be rooting for the Stars to pull the game out.
• Jiri Fischer knows better than anyone that Peverley’s life will never be the same after he suffered a cardiac event on Monday night. Here’s what actually happened to the Dallas forward’s heart and how it could affect his future.
• Peverley’s collapse put his teammates through an emotional wringer. Good to hear that Alex Chiasson is feeling better.
• The question has to be asked in Vancouver: Has coach John Tortorella lost the room? Another effort by the Canucks like the one in the third period of their 7-4 loss to the Islanders on Monday night and he might not get to finish the season.
• So much for all the talk about the potential for radical rules changes coming out of this week’s general managers meetings in Florida. Although there may be some minor tweaks, it doesn’t appear that any significant tinkering is in the cards.