An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• A report out of the Czech Republic yesterday suggested that Pittsburgh goalie Tomas Vokoun was considering retirement as a result of the blood clots that have him sidelined. His agent quickly jumped in to deny it.
• Gary Bettman calls the rumors of NHL expansion and relocation “gratifying,” but says there’s nothing to them at the moment. Of course, this is the same guy who said the Thrashers wouldn’t relocate right before they did, so…
• If you’re Canadian and over 50, this is the anniversary of one of the greatest days of your life. But I probably didn’t need to remind you of that.
• So exactly how many more chances is Brad Richards going to get to prove that he hasn’t completely lost it?
• Careful management will be required to keep Marian Hossa in Chicago’s lineup this season. If it means keeping him healthy for the playoffs, the Hawks should mix in all the off days they can.