An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• Did you hear that new Sabre Matt Moulson had himself a pretty decent night?
• A source says the Sabres were willing to make Thomas Vanek the highest-paid player in hockey as part of a long-term extension offer. Fact or spin? Tough to say, but considering how poorly this team has spent its money since owner Terry Pegula took over, this one rings true.
• Here’s something you won’t see every day: Bucky Gleason complimenting Darcy Regier. Of course, it’s not all peaches and cream from the veteran columnist/GM basher.
• Dave Shoalts, like many before him, considers the depth of Buffalo’s problems and wonders whether Regier is the man to solve them.
• It was an an emotional return to Buffalo for former Sabres coach Lindy Ruff, who got the win and the standing ovation. Good to see that his return was handled appropriately after the team bungled a chance to honor former captain Jason Pominville a couple of weeks back.
• And here’s video proving that Sabres fans are some of the best in hockey.