An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• It was fitting that Trevor Daley, the only player remaining from Dallas’ last playoff team, scored the goal that clinched a 3-0 win over the St. Louis Blues and returned the Stars to the postseason for the first time since 2008. And what a game that was by Tyler Seguin: 11 shots, 16 attempts, a breathtaking power play goal and a relentless defensive effort. Easily the best I’ve seen him play as a pro.
• Clinching a playoff berth might finally allow the Stars to move on from the past and boldly into the future.
• The loss was the fifth straight for a St. Louis team that is falling apart at the worst possible time. Injuries are killing the Blues. They could have as many as seven regulars out of the lineup for this weekend’s finale.
• He retires as an Oiler, but Smyth will always be Captain Canada.
• Matt Larkin makes the case for an Alexander Ovechkin/Evgeni Malkin trade…and it’s not anywhere near as crazy as it sounds.