An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• The postseason is always cruel, but never quite like this year. At least two teams that rang up 100 points will be gone by the end of the first round. And that number might be low.
• The Sharks’ long memories ensure that the hostility will be ramped up for their first rounder against the Kings.
• This piece by Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News…wow. He’s been on a roll this season, but this column suggesting the young Dallas Stars find inspiration in the film Streets of Fire might be his best of the year. Personally, I’ll never forgive Jim Steinman for ruining Sisters of Mercy, but that’s me.
• Fluto Shinazawa thinks the Boston Bruins will get through their opening round playoff series just fine. It’s the Stanley Cup Final against these guys that’ll be tough.
• The Flyers don’t have enough margin of error to allow for stupidity like the kind Scott Hartnell displayed in their season finale.
• Candiens goalie Carey Price says most Canadians will be rooting against his team in the playoffs. Which makes sense, given that most Canadians do not reside in or around Montreal.