An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• Noted NHL rumormonger Boomer Esiason says he’s hearing that the Rangers will trade Ryan Callahan for Martin St. Louis sometime in the next week. Believe it or not, the former NFL QB has actually been on the money with his hockey tips a couple of times in the past.
• Andrew Gross writes that letting Callahan get away is something that New York could live with, but that trading Dan Girardi would be a mistake.
• How close was Steven Stamkos to playing for Team Canada? Not very. Doctors still haven’t cleared him, and it looks like it could be awhile yet before he makes his NHL return. That’s a tough break for Stamkos, but at least he was able to share in a little post-Sochi joy yesterday.
• The Red Wings’ road to the playoffs is riddled with sinkholes now that back surgery has sidelined Henrik Zetterberg for the rest of the regular season. Look for Detroit to put Hank on long-term IR to free up some cap space in hopes of making a deadline acquisition or two.
• Sportsnet has assembled a comprehensive trade deadline primer. Just click on your favorite team for their needs and the list of available free agents.