An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• San Jose Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl is the NHL’s leading scorer after an amazing four-goal outburst against the New York Rangers. His final tally of the night was pretty cocky, eh? Good night to have mom in the stands.
• Adding injury to insult, the Rangers may have lost Rick Nash after their star forward was elbowed in the head by San Jose defender Brad Stuart. No one’s calling it a concussion just yet, but Nash has suffered from them before, making him highly susceptible to a repeat of the injury.
• It was just announced that Stuart has a hearing with the Department of Player Safety. Whaddya think he’s gonna get . . . two games?
• It was supposed to be about the homecoming of Cory Schneider and a duel against his old partner, Roberto Luongo. Instead, the Devils-Canucks clash turned into another episode of The Sedins Show.
• They’re still whining in Vancouver about the return Mike Gillis accepted for Schneider.