An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• Sabres coach Ron Rolston was fined during the preseason for his player selection after he kept enforcer John Scott out for a face-off following a goal. Steve Ewen argues that the Rolston precedent makes Flames coach Bob Hartley liable for the starting lineup he iced ahead of Saturday night’s brawl with the Canucks.
• Hartley is maintaining his innocence, saying he had no idea that things would get out of hand just because he started his fourth line against Vancouver.
• Calgary assistant Clint Malarchuk said he was ready to punch his old buddy John Tortorella in the face if he’d gotten to him in that hallway melee.
• It’ll be up to Colin Campbell, not Brendan Shanahan, to mete out discipline to Tortorella today.
• Dejan Kovacevic went the stream of consciousness route in working out his feelings after the donnybrook between the Flames and the Canucks. He’s not too happy with Gary Bettman, ESPN or Peter Gammons, among others.
• Cover your eyes, tree huggers. Another NHL star has come out in favor of fighting, even as he recovers from an injury suffered in a bout.