By Allan Muir
An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• Here’s Joe Pelletier with a great piece on rejected nicknames for recent NHL expansion teams. We came awfully close to the San Jose Rubber Puckies.
• The great Bernie Parent talks about driving to dinner with fans, breaking in new equipment and pulling some of the best pranks at training camp.
• Nazem Kadri is still living in a dream world when it comes to his contract demands. Unless the Maple Leafs’ center is ready to seriously slash his expectations, it’s unlikely he’ll be in Toronto’s camp when it opens next week.
• Sean Gentille says there’s not much chance that Kadri or defenseman Cody Franson will sign an offer sheet because no one has the money to pay them under this year’s tight cap.
• If Leafs coach Randy Carlyle is already sick of answering questions about Toronto’s goaltending controversy, just wait. The battle between Jonathan Bernier and James Reimer is just about to heat up.