An annotated guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• The Rangers beat the Canucks 3-1 in coach Alain Vigneault’s return to Vancouver, but the big story was the clean — but very heavy — hit that injured New York’s Ryan McDonagh. The question now: How serious is the damage? The hit by Alex Burrows doesn’t look worthy of a suspension to me. What do you think?
• The Blueshirts can ill afford another injury, considering how the last one is still affecting them.
• If the Canucks fire coach John Tortorella, they will have to swallow $8 million after this season. That probably sounds like a bargain to most Vancouver fans.
• After watching some of the worst hockey he’s ever seen, Gene Collier is starting to worry about the playoff disaster looming in the Penguins’ future.
• At least there was one bright spot for Pittsburgh fans in that game.