By Allan Muir
A abbreviated trade deadline day guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• A big splash at the trade deadline is no guarantee of playoff success.
• Could Calgary GM Jay Feaster have another deal up his sleeve before the deadline?
• Who might be on the trade block in Edmonton?
• The Islanders are for real! With another impressive win on Tuesday night, they now own the seventh spot in the East.
• With that long-awaited chance at the postseason within their grasp, don’t look for the Isles to trade captain Mark Streit, even if they can’t get his contract extended before the deadline.
• History extended an invitation to the Penguins. The Pens chose to wash their hair. Or something. Clearly they weren’t interested in competing against the Sabres hard enough to extend their 15-game winning streak.
• The Dallas Stars are a mess right now. And that’s exactly what they need to be.
• They’re asking the same question in Vancouver about the acquisition of Derek Roy.
• The Rangers got a win and a boost to their playoff hopes on Tuesday night. At least, we think Ryane Clowe will help…
• The Jets got top prospect Jacob Trouba under contract. He has top-two potential, but he’s likely to start in the minors.
• The Jets might want to give Trouba a look with the big club. They need an injection of passion after dropping their fourth game in a row.
• The Americans jumped out to an early lead. The Canadians responded. The opener of the World Women’s Championship was as thrilling as expected.