[/caption]By Allan Muir
A super-sized weekend edition guide to this morning’s must-read hockey stories:
• Pittsburgh’s 3-1 win over Florida may prove costly. There’s no update yet on Evgeni Malkin’s condition after the superstar was ridden hard into the boards by Erik Gudbranson. Bad result from a clean hit.
• The puck continues to bounce right for the Chicago Blackhawks, whose win over San Jose made for a record-setting 17th game with a point from the start of the season. The Sharks found themselves on the wrong side of history.
• Buffalo Sabres GM offers up some distressing opinions about the state of modern hockey equipment.
• Damien Cox thinks that reviving the World Cup of Hockey is a terrible idea. He could not be more wrong. He could try, but he would fail.
• Rick Nash is set to miss his third game in a row. The Rangers need another stellar performance like the one they got Thursday night from Marian Gaborik if they want to have a chance against the conference-leading Canadiens tonight.
• Winnipeg defender Zach Redmond is lucky to be alive after having his femoral artery slashed and losing two pints of blood on the ice. In that context, being out for the season isn’t the worst thing that could have happened here.
• The effort is finally there from Alexander Ovechkin. Now he just needs to remember how to finish.
• Are you ready to take The Great Canadian Hockey Quiz? Warning: it’s kinda rules-intensive.
• Lindy Ruff took time to thank the players and fans as he closed out his tenure with the Buffalo Sabres.
• A smart take from Cam Cole on the three stooges who doomed Rick DiPietro.
• The Senators are hopeful Craig Anderson will be back sooner than this.
• Riding a five-game losing streak and facing a formidable stretch of the schedule, there’s a growing sense of urgency around the Detroit Red Wings. They might want to “urgently” address that 28th-ranked power play that continues to let them down in game-swinging situations.
• Bobby Hull shares a few thoughts about his career, his regrets and his relationship with Gordie Howe.
• Erik Karlsson holds a grudgeagainst Matt Cooke.
• The Calgary Flames are too soft to be taken seriously. Fresh recruit Akim Aliu will be asked to address that shortfall of sandpaper. The team also expect to get impact rookie Sven Baertschi back in the lineup soon.
• This is some seriously hard-core speculation about possible NHL realignment options. Some truly awesome work here.
• The Blackhawks weren’t the only team to earn a record-setting wing last night.
• Ask Siri to show you a picture of God and you won’t believe whose image might pop up.